Saturday, August 20, 2011

Fun with Marie Antoinette

Ah, this project is bliss!

All the gorgeous silks, crystals, beads, and metallics arrived organized just as you see them here and tied up in a pretty ribbon bow. I was thrilled.


Here is where I was last night:


And today I did the first of four fleur-de-lis stitched with one strand of beautiful Waterlilies hand painted silk over one thread of linen. This means each cross stitch is one quarter the size of the rest in the project. I am amazed at my results! Later, it will be intricately back stitched in gold thread but I'm going to need to catch my breath first.




4 comments:

  1. Yikes, is that small! One strand over one thread of linen! But that's what makes it so attractive too.

    I'm glad you're having fun with this. I'm so glad you were able to get it after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura, for encouraging me to get this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!

    Question: this isn't done on black linen? I thought it looked that way on the original photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've noticed this designer usually shows her designs against black on the computer. (This particular design is only available via a computer download.) I'm guessing it is so you can easily see the intricacies of her designs. She just released a new one, that is heart achingly beautiful, that she shows against black and against white, and you really do lose the detail, on the computer, when viewing it against the white.

    She has a great feature at her forum where you can pick any of her designs and see how they look on many different specific brands and colors of fabric. I've had much fun with that!

    For this one I'm using "Baby Lotion" Belfast linen which is a pale peachy pink that is going great with all the blue and gold.

    Working on black fabric is very difficult, if not impossible. Some people put a light on their lap to shine up through the fabric, others put a white towel on their lap. I'd never in a million years, at my skill level, attempt this on black. Also, there is some dark navy blue in it that I don't think would show up on the black at all. And, I don't associate Marie Antoinette with the color black. She loved roses. So, I went with a pink!

    ReplyDelete