Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Temptation

I can't get this out of my mind, so maybe if I write about it I'll get some peace.

I'm really into Marie Antoinette. Specifically, I love French eighteenth century textile prints, interior design, pink, and all things girly.

I grew up with French Provincial bedroom furniture and a canopy bed covered in pink frills. I even had a pink shag wall to wall carpet. Hey, it was the sixties.

I loved Sophia Coppola's film Marie Antoinette. It was a constant rush of pure eye candy. Or should I say eye cake?


So, here's my problem. The other day I ran into this amazing, perfect cross stitch pattern by Martina Rosenberg of Ch√Ętelaine Design called "Marie Antoinette."


Just look at it! Pink! Roses! Pearls! Shoes! Swarovski crystal sparklies!

But, I think it is way over my head, I have a ton of projects in a holding pattern waiting to land, I'm not sure I'll live long enough to complete it, and it ain't cheap because it uses lovely, blissful hand dyed silks and specialty items. My husband said I could have it as an anniversary present but that doesn't up my skill level. I'm intimidated!

I'm trying to be sensible. I found this cute fan pattern.


I could do it on this yummy Baby Lotion pink Belfast linen.


There would be a good chance I'd finish this within my life expectancy.

But oh! I'm so tempted! Maybe I should just pop in my Marie Antoinette DVD and call it a day.

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, what a quandary! That'd be the kind of splurge I'd have to go for, regardless, with every intention of setting aside a certain block of time each day to work on it. Except for the skill level issues - hmm, yeah, what to do, what to do....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... that's tough! I'm guilty of buying more projects than I have time for, but if it's something you'd really like to do then I say go for it. The only way to up your skill level is to try new things. Or, you could always vow to finish all your current projects then buy the new one to reward your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Laura and Lauren. You've given me some good points to think about.

    I've been thinking about this all evening!

    I'm going to give myself a few days to cool off but I have a suspicion I'm going to go for it. I looked at a few progress pics tonight and it is truly gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynne, that project is gorgeous! If you can afford it, you COULD buy it and put it away until your skill level improves.

    I keep seeing knitting projects that I'd like to do, but I know I'm not ready yet, experience-wise. I'm keeping the patterns for when I have more experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lor, that's a great idea to collect projects you're not quite ready for yet.

    A person on a forum doing a similar project said the instructions are clear and it's not actually too difficult, but big.

    I keep thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lynne,
    I tried posting this on your blog, but again, couldn't figure out how to make it post---so I'll copy here instead;
    (refering to the Marie Antoinette cross stitch. And, btw, I really liked that movie too!)

    "Don't buy the fans---you will always feel it was a compromise and you won't love it the same way. I bet your skill level is higher than you realize. Remember the Algerian Eye stitch? Easy, right?-- once you had a little practice. Simply buy a little extra fabric and thread---or use leftovers you already have---and do a little practice stitching first. And if you can afford this one special treat, it will keep you from buying other projects that you might have bought otherwise, and it will keep you busy for the same time and possibly even the same price if you were to compare for the long run.
    Deborah"

    ReplyDelete