Tuesday, April 5, 2011

What happened at the Netherfield Ball?

Lots of things and most of them not very good.  Sure, Jane and Mr. Bingley got tighter, but Lizzy was stuck with horrid Mr. Collins and Wickham never showed up.  Mary sang badly and too long, Mrs. Bennett behaved more absurdly than usual, if that's possible, and Lizzy was just plain generally mortified.  Yes, Mr. Darcy finally deigned to invite Lizzy to dance, but she was so over him.

If you have no idea what I'm on about, I'm telling you the juicy gossip about my good friends in Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

I'm in the planning stages of stitching a sampler to commemorate the evening.

A Ball at Netherfield
by Stitching Parlor



I'm changing out the fabric and the thread and some of the colors. It's starting to come together although I don't like the first couple of pinks I chose.

Dancing was very important in this Regency society and it's also important to me.  After all, my own parents met at a dance, so where would I be without it? 

4 comments:

  1. What? Lynne found some shades of pink she didn't like - at least not on this particular project?

    That looks like a fairly elaborate piece and it looks bigger than 8x10!

    I like it though. It's so "Lynne!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to see the sampler you'd create if your parents had met at a bowling alley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it would be a beautiful sampler, William.

    My parents 'met' at a company party/dance, just before Christmas. My mom was there, but not interested in dancing. My father asked her to dance, and she declined...at which point my father took her by the hand and literally 'swept her off her feet'. He went home that night and told his father "Tonight I met the woman I'm going to marry"

    They were married for over twenty years and both loved their three daughters.

    I'll remember the good times.

    Oops, sorry to derail...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lor! That's so romantic! I believe in love at first sight.

    ReplyDelete