Friday, April 8, 2011

Tradewinds

The projects I work on lately tend to be long and complex.  After joining a cross stitch forum, I learned about the art of rotation.  It's wonderful:  you simply have several projects going at once and when you become weary of the current one, you rotate to the next.  It really works!  After taking a break by working on something else, when I return to a previous project with fresh eyes, I'm exhilarated again.  It appears some stitchers are on a strict time schedule rotation, but I'm not like that.  I just stitch on something until I don't feel all that excited about picking it up again.

I've decided to take progress pics when I rotate because it is so much fun and quite motivating to watch a project grow over time.  So here is Tradewinds by Teresa Wentzler.


And here is my progress, so far, right before I switch to something else:


This is my first Wentzler and it's full of scary firsts for me.  Her designs are notoriously complex but oh so worth it.  I haven't been cross stitching for long; I just took it up after a quilting blow out, so I have a lot to learn.  So far, I've done my first fractional stitches and blended threads.  Not so bad once I got the gist of it.  I'm looking forward to learning diagonal satin stitching, the large diamond eyelet, the fan, the Algerian eyelet, one over one, and beading in this project.

My choice of this project was influenced by a poem my dear friend Laura posted.  I had ambitions of stitching it under the ship, but it's just too long.  I love this poem and think of it as I'm working on this project.

"Commit thy way unto the Lord and trust!"
Ah, it is here we fail! We give the wheel
Of our small bark to Him; but then we trust
Our hand upon His hand,
And dare to stand
Beside our Master, lest He wreck our keel.

"Commit thy way unto the Lord and trust!"
Leave all to Him; believe He knows thy course,
Thy dangers, and thy safety--all--then just
Abandon all to Him:
So shalt thou skim
Borne briskly on before the Spirit's force.

"Commit thy way unto the Lord and trust!"
There is an "also" we too oft forget,
And so are plagued and worried. Oh, we must
"Trust also," then our soul
Shall cease to roll
In restlessness and reason and regret!

Commit! and then, committed, trust His Word!
Has He not said that He will bring thee through?
Trust His strong arm; and when wild storms are heard,
Believe He holds them still
By His strong will.
Trust Him, the Wise, the Faithful, and the True.

Trust Him to manage all that thou dost now
Commit to Him--the ship--the sails--the sea--
The sailors, thy strange crew. And ask not how
He will do all for thee,
But trustful be.
Lie down and rest from anxious worry free.

-- Unknown


Thanks Laura, for the inspiration.

My husband loves this project and has claimed it as his when it's finished.  I'll stitch for him gladly and with love.

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of that poem too, Lynne. I'm glad you went ahead with the project - I remember you talking about it in the context of that poem.

    Wow, there's more to cross-stitching than little "x" stitches! I never got that far with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture and the poem!

    I didn't realize that there was more to cross stitching than 'x' stitches, as Laura said. You learn something new every day, hmm?

    ReplyDelete